December 21, 2009

caution. may cause extreme admiration.

So, par the recommendation of Zach when he was helping me find a job this summer, I got hooked on Outside Magazine. Its incredible. Most known for the Best of 2009 or Gift Guide, it still boasts a lot of other really interesting articles. I have yet to look at the lists to tell ya the truth.

When I started reading this expose last night I knew I was getting into dangerous territory, but I couldn't help myself... gave in to temptation.... and regret it, I do not. Dudes, ever feel like you want to do something ELSE? Do something bigger? And are always scheming and dreaming of a life that isn't 9-5, earn a pay check? Most often when I get that way and start to poke about all I can find are "non-profits" with a generic website and someone who hosts a couple of events and talks about what they do online and for what charity they donate. Honestly, after about twenty of those people I get completely repulsed and walk away. I mean, that doesn't take EFFORT. That doesn't require a hardship inflicted upon your own lifestyle; where did you make a sacrifice? Where did you miss out on something, live without, or plan on doing either of those things? Making a website proclaiming your newly formed non-profit? Get real. How about the 24 year old who's living in Nepal washing her clothes in a drain on the floor and eating rice and cauliflower? But, thank you for doing something.
....
There is something to be said for people give in their own ways and not all of us are attracted to or have a desire to sleep on the floor and eat yuck for at least a year, but would still like to create awareness; for that, I applaud you :)

BUT, for the sake of your time, and my motivation, check this OUT. Here are a group of peeps out gettin it done, some making serious sacrifices, and taking contributing to the greater good to a whole new level. DIG IT. I gotta get my ass in action. This guy is 26. And the over-dramatic, sappy, hopeless romantic in me thinks I could probably hang out with you and have a REALLY good time. Kerri Rae my dear, I think I see what you were talking about. :)
SHARE:

1 comment

*Mingni said...

i've been reading Outside for years, I love thier annual "Best Places to Live" issue. you should note, MT is always included. love love

© amy rocks, okay?. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig